Florida Teens Read is a list of 15 titles that have been chosen by a committee of media specialists across Florida. The titles have been selected specifically to engage students in grades 9-12. They reflect teen interests and represent a variety of genres, formats, reading levels, viewpoints, and cultural perspectives.
This program is designed to entice teens to read. In order to engage their interest and to provide a spur to critical thinking, the book selections include those that involve sensitive issues. The content of some of the titles may be more mature than younger students may have previously encountered. Please recognize that this is a voluntary reading program. Not every book selected will suit every student. In a democratic society, a variety of ideas must find voice. As readers, teens have the choice to read the more mature titles or to close the book.
Instructions for Completing Blog Posts
1. Scroll up and find the title of the book you’ve read.
2. Select the link to find a summary of the book and a prompt to respond to. You may also find read-alikes, a book trailer, or other informational links.
3. Click on the link that says Post Comment.
4. In the box for Name, type in your first name, last initial, English teacher’s name, period you have English, and your school (all in a row with no spaces or punctuation). It will look like this: HarryPDumbledore6Hogwarts
5. Skip the boxes for Mail and Website. In the large text box, you will need to compose your original response to the prompt or your opinion on the book you read. Once finished, click the Post Comment button. Your comment will be approved and posted by the moderator.
6. Feel free to click reply and respond to others.